Mental illness is defined as “a diagnosable illness which affects a person’s thinking, emotional state and behaviour, and disrupts the person’s ability to work, carry out normal daily activities, and engage in satisfying relationships”.
Learn Practical First Aid Skills
The Mental Health First Aid programme certifies participants as mental health first aiders in the workplace. Participants do not become qualified to diagnose and treat mental illness; however they are provided with practical information about key mental illnesses so they can identify risks in the workplace, and provide assistance if someone is experiencing a mental health issue.
The Mental Health First Aid course offers a first aid process for non-crisis intervention which can be applied to someone experiencing any of the following:
• The effects of an alcohol or substance use problem.
The Mental Health First Aid course also provides a process for dealing with crisis situations aligned to the above four categories. These crises include:
• Suicidal thoughts, feelings or behaviours
• Panic attacks
• Severe psychotic episodes
• Traumatic events
• High levels of intoxication (sometimes with aggressive behaviour).
Become a Mental Health First Aider
The Mental Health First Aid course is a highly interactive programme with DVDs, workshop exercises, group discussions and informative material content.
Key Outcomes from Training
• Improved confidence and skill when dealing with mental health issues in the workplace
• A greater awareness of mental health and reduced stigma about mental illness
• Better promotion of mental health in the workplace;
• Your business now has access to a group of passionate subject matter experts (the mental health first aiders) who can be “go-to” contacts for any employees who are struggling with stress overload or the emergence of a mental health problem
• A nationally recognised certificate qualification as a Mental Health First Aider, provided by Mental Health First Aid Australia
• Participants also receive a Mental Health First Aid manual
Learn more about the course and HSE Global here
Register for the event here;